I know its been almost 3 weeks since our sweet son came into this world, but let me tell you, its been a busy time! Here's how our baby's first day looked. Like I wrote in my last post, I was induced on Friday the 16Th. I think Thursday night was the longest night of my life! It felt so strange and exciting to know that my baby boy was coming the very next day. I also was unsure how the day was going to go, since all I knew was that they would call me in the morning to let me know when to come in. Well, turns out that they called at like 6:30 in the morning to say come in at 8, totally ruining any chance of getting more sleep. So I got up and did what I usually do when i am nervous or excited or both - check everything over and become a total weirdo! Anyway, we got up and eventually made it over to the hospital. We made a quick stop at McDonald's on the way-i have to confess i seriously love their bacon and egg bagels, regardless of how unhealthy those suckers are. It was my last breakfast before untold amounts of hospital food disgustingness, and so I caved. And it was delicious! I asked Paul to give me a blessing in the car before we went in, but requested that he not make me cry- which didn't work. But the blessing was wonderful, and I was so very grateful to have a worthy priesthood holder husband! We finally got up to L&D, after an incredibly long wait at admissions, and it didn't take them long to get me all hooked up and attached to all those tubes and such. I saw my Dr. shortly after, and she said she wanted to have a baby by supper, and that surprised me. I was in labor with Amelia for over 30 hours, so I was aiming for sometime before midnight. I thought that was pretty optimistic! Things started off pretty mildly, but I was having regular contractions by about 10 am. They gradually got stronger, but I was able to deal with it. Dr. Barnes came in at 3 and checked me, and I was at 3cm, which was a little less than what I was hoping for, but still progress. She decided to break my water at that point, and as soon as she did, she felt like I went to 4cm, which was great! She told me that if I wanted an epidural that I should think about it pretty quick, because things were going to go a lot faster from here. I was feeling pretty good at that point, so I said I'd wait a little bit and see. She was right. within about 15 mins the contractions were much harder and faster, and so I decided to have an epidural. They were great about getting the anesthesiologist there right away, and It was all done within about 30 mins. So now we are approaching 4pm, I'm 4cm, and the nurse (whom I found a little brash when i was in labor with Amelia, but knew what she was doing) comes in and says that I'm not laboring hard enough and that I'm not in nearly enough pain! She thinks they did the epidural too quickly, and starts poking and prodding my belly. She comes to the conclusion that the baby is head down, but not as far as we need, because he is a little crooked and the top of his head is against my hip, and he is facing the wrong way. She tells me to get up on my hands and knees on the bed (don't forget that i have an epidural in at this point!) and that I need to get this baby to turn. It doesn't take long before I feel a big gush and my contraction suddenly get a lot stronger, and I'm feeling a TON of pressure. The nurse just tells me that this is just pressure on my bowels because he is facing the wrong way still. I knew better and tried to tell her, but she just wouldn't get it. So they all leave, and things are going really fast. Another nurse comes back in as I'm having a contraction, and kind of clues in as to what is going on. She decides to check me, and says that I am 7-8cm, and leaves right away to call the doctor and get things ready. Mentally I'm doing a little freak out, I totally feel like I'm not ready to push yet, when my body so obviously is. I had so long to gear myself up for it with Amelia that I was really ready. This was a whole new territory to me. Within 15 minutes and 3 pushes later our beautiful son, Benjamin Paul Straight was born, at 6:01 pm. Yeah, I went from 3 cm to 10cm and had a baby in 3 hours. No wonder i wasn't ready! 3 is significantly less than 30! After all of that We had our baby boy, who was 6lbs 14oz and 19 3/4 in long. He seemed so tiny to me after Amelia's 8lbs 9oz. He still does! As of yesterday he is 7lbs 10oz, and seems like he has grown a lot, even though he is still so small to me. He is such a good, content baby, and we feel really lucky. He is such a sweet new spirit in our home, and I am grateful to my Heavenly Father all over again for the blessing of being a mother. Regardless of how hard and challenging it can be, it is a joyful and wonderful thing, and I feel blessed continually by my children. It has definitely been a bit if a transition around here lately, especially for Amelia, but she is a sweet girl, and loves her "baby brudder" very much, although a little too much sometimes. I am also very grateful to my Heavenly Father for a loving and patient husband. He is such a strength and rock for me, and continues to make me feel like super mom and wonder wife, even on the hard days, the days when absolutely nothing in the house gets done, and the days when I want to sell my children by the time he comes home. He'll just buy them from me and return them when I have changed my mind and decided I'll try keeping them just a little longer. I'm also grateful for my family. I may not have always felt that way, but They have been such a support of love and strength and help over the last little while. For watching Amelia all of the times I had to go into the hospital, for meals and help around the house, and for prayers and prayers for me and us. Here's a quick peek at our sweet boy.
He's so skinny!
High Blood pressure + mucho fluids in IV's = Holy Swollen!
What a Proud Daddy!
Meeting for the first time - She wouldn't even touch him for about 3 days
Check out those hairy shoulders!
This one is my favorite! I could get lost in those blue eyes!
2 comments:
congrats annalise. you guys made a beautiful baby boy. we're so happy for you guys. i'm glad that your labour went much quicker than 30 hours.lets hope that when baby #3 comes, it'll only take you 2!
He's just precious.
Post a Comment